Monday, February 19, 2007

T minus 1 week

Seven days from now I will be going to Austin to sit for the bar exam. For those who don't know, it's about a 3.5 hour drive from Houston to the state capital. They do offer the bar exam in Houston (well, Pasadena), but they only let us type it in Austin. For some reason, they still offer the option of typing the bar exam. On a typewriter, I mean. I imagine someone coming in with a big old Smith-Corona. It would blow their minds. I'll probably go in the early afternoon and get oriented, and then read over the outlines for the Day 1 exam materials.

Of course, this week will be the intensive-study week. Now that the countdown is in the single digits I feel somewhat more motivated. Some people are going on vacation after the bar, but not me! I'll be coming home to catch up on the housework that I've been neglecting since, um, 2003?

And there's that little matter of finding a job. :-]

4 Comments:

At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mature priorities.

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Job schmob. Who needs a job?

Here is how I spent the day before my first bar - we stayed in a hotel downtown, so we wouldn't have to get up early and fight traffic each morning driving in from the suburbs. It took me 3 hours to finish a slurpee because I was nauseous. I cried on the bathroom floor for a half hour because I was afraid I'd fail and everybody would be disappointed. My husband (then boyfriend) and I went to bed and I cried some more. Neither of us slept. Then the test went by so fast, and for the next week all we did was sleep.

Really, once you get in there it flies by. There'll be a question on some topic that the Bar-Bri people SWORE to you wouldn't be on there, and you'll panic for a minute, and then you just start writing because you don't have that much time to waste.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger John said...

Wow! In the review class they told us the stories about people who snapped during the exam. Heart attacks, throwing up, etc. I would believe almost anything at this point. No wonder they tell us we can't bring a concealed weapon, even if we do have a license to carry!

As fast as this past two months of studying has gone by, I'm sure that you're right and the exam will be over in a blink. I've heard about the dreaded Question You Have No Idea About. They said a few years ago it was a question about who would be responsible for plugging an old oil well hole when the company that had drilled it no longer existed. They described how the sound of pens furiously scratching across the pages subsided as people reached that question, and heads started popping up like prairie dogs as people looked around in bewilderment. I guess I'll do what Jack says on Lost and let the fear in for five seconds. :-P

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Alaska it was on mechanic's liens. I looked at it, then looked at my husband who was two rows away from me. I saw him staring at the question and thought he was going to get up, walk out, and tell me we were moving. But then he just started scribbling away. I remember writing a bunch of times, "the vendor has a right to be paid so all he has to do is prove the bill and file a lien."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home