Tuesday, December 19, 2006

PMBR

Yesterday I started preparing for the bar exam by taking the PMBR course. The pupose of this six-day class is to prepare you for the Multistate portion of the bar exam. It deals with torts, contracts, criminal law, property, evidence, and Constitutional Law. One subject per day. Since I had lousy professors for Criminal and ConLaw, I'm behind the 8-ball. A lot of people on the Internet speak disparagingly about PMBR and its format. In the mornings you are supposed to take a mock exam on a subject and in the afternoon they go over it with you and talk about what the right answer is, and why the others are wrong. Along the way you end up getting a good overview of the substantive law on the subject of the day. Most of what you hear is also in the book, so a number of people believe the class is a waste of time. You could buy the books on eBay and go over the material yourself. I have to say that this is probably true, but the instructor does add his own material and insights into the analyses and into the exam itself. So I feel like I'm getting a pretty good value. Also, since I'm partly an auditory learner, it helps to be there and listen to him speak. Finally, it's better to sit in a roomful of people who are commiserating with you than to try to go it alone.

2 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger John said...

Well, this is the early PMBR. There's another three-day one AFTER Bar-Bri, and I'm not taking that one.

I probably could have been talked out of PMBR but I spoke with two attorneys in a row who had recommended it. They said that Bar-Bri was better for the essays and PMBR was better for the Multistate. Not being in a position to know better one way or the other, I signed up.

Did you have to take the multistate portion again to get licensed in AK?

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger John said...

That sucks! You shouldn't have to retake that part.

Today we talked about some minor point dealing with whether an agreement to rent a room at a hotel was more like a lease or a license. He said the hornbook says it's a license and the Restatement comments say it's a lease. So, which source do the exam writers rely on? Both! So the good thing about PMBR is when I get that question wrong I'll know it's not my fault.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home