Sunday, May 27, 2007

It's the economy, stupid!

Well I haven't posted anything in a while...

I've been working at the new IT job for about a month now, and I still don't feel like I've settled into the role. I've been on a couple of minor projects but they've been focused on providing documentation... other than one minor troubleshooting issue, I haven't had to actually DO anything yet. They want me to be the go-to guy for Exchange 2007 so that's what I've been spending all my time with. They are paying me a good wage, with great benefits and even an allowance for my cell phone. Brilliant!

What about the law degree? I know, I know. The attorneys at the Firm are giving me a hard time about not working at a law firm. They say I should "strike while the iron is hot" and say I'm throwing my career away for not taking a job with less than half the pay. They say I need to pay my dues. Well. I worked 18 weeks of unpaid internships and worked a midnight shift doing document review for peanuts. All I have to show for it are a stack of letters from firms saying I have a nice resume but their needs have already been met through their summer interns, etc. So don't call me a quitter, call me a rational maximizer. Hopefully I'll find a way to combine my IT background with the law degree, but in the meantime I've got student loans to pay!

1 Comments:

At 2:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pay your dues! Kids like you who were born with a silver spoon in their mouths need to pay their dues and work their way up. You climb ladders one wrung at a time, from the bottom up. You don't start in the middle. Go get yourself a degree, then start a career, work your way up. Do this for about 15 years, then get even more education, even if it costs you your job, but keep paying your bills, and THEN you can say you paid your dues. You silly kids (Kids defined as 37 yrs old and younger) always want to start out on top.... :P
Yusuf

 

Post a Comment

<< Home