Tuesday, March 27, 2007

On the Nightshift

Gonna be some sweet sounds coming down
On the nightshift.


I'm doing the graveyard shift again, but they let us listen to music with headphones so I brought some CDs. One of the women who comes in is perpetually ill-prepared. Last time she didn't bring a lunch. Today she had headphones but no CDs. So let her borrow from mine. I used to travel and when I would visit a country I would pick up CDs of the pop music in the country at the time (I recommend that to all you travellers. It's so much better than a stupid knick-knack you'll throw in a drawer.) So. She's looking through my CDs. She holds up Hisham Abbas. "What's this?" Egyptian pop. She tries another one. "Oh... What about this one?" Mor ve Ă–tesi. "OK..." She took The Who.

The work isn't bad; I just sift through documents deciding which folder to dump them in. The only problem is that the two supervisors seem to have different criteria for what goes where. TweedleDee says, "Put those in folder A." Then TweedleDum comes up to me and says, "Why are you putting those in folder A? They obviously go in folder B!" I'm not used to being confronted by Office Space scenarios. At the tech company, my dealings with management were pretty much limited to scheduling and strategizing company focus. So here I am wondering how to proceed. Do I just say, "Sorry, you're right. How stupid of me?" Or do I blame Tweedledee? Will that get me on Tweedledee's bad side? Or do I need him now that TweedleDum thinks I'm a moron? School does not prepare you for this.

OK, here's one for you. Is this picture from a legal services company or a J.C. Penney's catalog? It's the former. What do you think? I'm not sure I would want to be a part of this team. They look like the Cheetah Girls trying to do Boston Legal. See? Chanel thinks she's Bill Shatner. Alternatively, the skewed angles remind me of a U2 album cover. They always look like they are milling about in different directions too. Lawyers like the word "alternatively."

3 Comments:

At 3:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope TweedleDee & TweedleDum don't start reading your blog. As for your picture, wonder who the senior partner is.....

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The one in the middle. . .it makes her seem like she'll get into bed with opposing counsel (or the husband on the opposite side of a divorce, as the case may be) to do whatever it takes for her clients. People already flinch when they get young attorney's, don't need that photo making them look vapid!

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger John said...

TweedleDee & TweedleDum won't be reading. I don't get on the internet at all while I'm working.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home