Friday, July 14, 2006

Job Interview 1 of ???

Today I had my first interview. It's a smaller company than my old one (even though it's pretty easy to figure out who they are let's just call my ex employer "Z Company") and it competes for business with the one I used to work for. I was supposed to do a technical interview with their head tech guy. As I understood it, we were going to chat back and forth so I could show him what I knew, etc. Wrong! Instead he used the time to ask me whether I had taught all sorts of things that weren't on my resume. I took an instant disliking to him and it really didn't go very well. They want someone who does SharePoint and BizTalk... insanely, they also want someone who already knows Windows Vista (a product that isn't out yet) and Exchange 2007 (another product that isn't out yet). These guys like to teach early-adopter classes on beta software. I'm much more happy in administration than development. My resume reflects this. So why was he asking me about all this other stuff? Argh! Then I got a lecture about how the clients at Y Company are so much more sophisticated and demanding than at Z Company. Give me a break. I have trained the Texas State Auditors' Office, the Texas State Comptrollers' Office, the FBI, marines, police, attorneys, bank presidents, and WAN administrators for Fortune 100 companies. They said they would get back to me but I'm going to consider them a wash and keep looking.

Next interview: Wednesday!

Oh, and yes, I did spend the balance of the day at the law firm and finished everything in my inbox, thank you. I haven't gotten much feedback yet on what I'm doing. I don't necessarily need an attaboy, but I'd like to see something come back other than the "Message Sent" I get when I forward them my work.

2 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't want to work for those snobs anyway.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger John said...

I'm sure you're right about that! I guess no news is good news...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home