Friday, July 07, 2006

Kicked out after 10 years

Yesterday I got pulled into the office at work and management made the following observations:
  • I will probably be leaving within a year, once I get my law degree and take the bar exam.
  • Very few people can teach the broad range of subjects I can.
  • They have an opportunity to hire someone now who teaches what I do.
  • This office ain't big enough for the both of us.
So they asked me to resign in exchange for an extra two weeks' pay and gave me 24 hours to think about it. I called them today and said no, I wasn't going to resign. And waited. No one bothered to call me back, but they sent this email out today, and I thought I'd share (annotated!).

Good afternoon everyone.

I wanted to let you know that over the past few days, we’ve had a few personnel changes that I wanted to make you all aware of.

First, John [that's me] will be leaving [that is, was pushed out of] our organization to pursue his Legal career. He will be starting his 6 week [unpaid] internship on Monday, July 10th and will then be working toward graduation, passing the Bar and then landing with a firm to make his mark on the legal world. John recently celebrated his 10 year anniversary with [the company]. John is always willing to pitch in and do what is asked of him and he frequently gave more than requested. His knowledge in the classroom and his willingness to take on difficult projects will be missed. He has seen many management changes [seven GMs in 10 years] and has hung in there through each one and stepped up to contribute when asked. [This is how we thank him!] John has agreed to be a contractor for us if we ever find ourselves in need of his services. We wish him much success in his new career and will hope to see him in our classrooms again from time to time.

Secondly, effective today, [some one else is also kicked to the curb!]

Lastly, for some more positive news, we will have a new technical instructor joining [the team] in the next few weeks. His name is [Omitted] and he has been an IT classroom instructor for over 10 years. His skill set includes most Microsoft networking classes, [and other stuff John taught]. [He] has worked for me in the past at [other companies] and I am certain he will make an immediate impact with our clients. [Nevermind that he worked at this company nine years ago and was fired for changing an irate student's evaluation].

Please wish John and [the other guy] well in their future endeavors and please welcome [the New Guy] when he joins us later this month. As always, I welcome your feedback. Have a great weekend everyone.

7 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again, sorry. :-( I think what I hate most about that email is that they make it sound like it was you idea.

Nora

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger John said...

I knew they would do that! (Make it look like it was my idea). Amy, I think you're right. That's why I decided not to resign. So I can get my $300 a week. :o(

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger John said...

BTW, for some reason now I can't get into my work email... heh!

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger CyndyMW said...

www.newhorizonssucks.net

 
At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cynthia's exactly right!

BTW, hi Cynthia! :-)

Amy, I think he has another email that attests to their asking him to resign. Right John? Doesn't matter, he's moving on to bigger and better things.

Nora

 
At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sneaky bastards!!

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger John said...

They used to scold us when a student asked where someone was and we said they'd gone on to "bigger and better things." Nothing was bigger and better, or so they assured us! Oh well. I'm not the first person this happened to.

I already filed for unemployment (but I think I did it too early; maybe I was supposed to wait a week. No one would answer the phone so I filed on-line).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home