Monday, July 10, 2006

Unemployment & Internship Day 1

Today was my first Monday as an unemployed person since August 1993. But it didn't feel like it because I started an unpaid intenship with a small plaintiff's firm. There are only two partners and two associates. They already gave me some work to do, and I rode along to a hearing in the partner's Porsche. He had me stand behind him as he argued his case at the bench. I enjoyed it but I was very intimidated and nervous. I only understood about half of what was going on! One of the other attorneys asked me how long I'd been practicing. Heh. I guess I look old enough.

We had sushi for lunch. My first raw fish experience; I enjoyed it.

I called up a couple of competitors of my former employer. I'm thinking that it makes more sense to work for 6 months to a year in IT and made more money than to take a law clerk's job for six months at 30-40K. So I'm doing an internship while looking for a job AND taking Bankruptcy class... oh, and law review...

I think I will need some No-Doze...

4 Comments:

At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you're staying busy right?

Always look on the bright side of life.

Nora

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger John said...

Yep! You're right...

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger John said...

No, I don't have snoot. I'm only in the top 75%, not the top 90%. And I'm old (over 24). The Houston market discriminates against both. I know a woman who's got 20 years paralegal experience, made Order of the Barons, and can' get an offer. It's nutz here. I can't live on the $10-15/hr that they would pay me, so I'm looking for an IT related job.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger John said...

:-P Talk to me after the Bar...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home