Saturday, March 12, 2005

MPRE

Today, as thousands of High School students slogged through the new and improved SAT, aspiring law students throughout the country took on the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam, or MPRE. The purpose of the exam is to demonstrate your knowledge of the standard code of conduct for attorneys and judges. Each question is a multiple choice scenario. There are 60 questions and you get two hours.

Although the exam was held at the UH Law School, I didn't see any of the part-timers I knew. If fact, I only sew two people I recognized at all. To take the exam you had to bring a printed admission form with a passport-style photo attached. Each person was checked at the door in a process that was much slower than it needed to be. While a number of us waited to be "checked in," an annoying redhead came in late, spied people she knew, and jumped towards the front of the line like she belonged there. She then proceeded to tell everyone that she hadn't studied, that if she failed she could just take it again, and that she planned to apply Kant's Categorical Imperative to every question. Hmm. I started to say, "Hey bitch, what would Kant say about skipping to the front of the line?" But I didn't.

Multiple choice, you say. How hard can it be? Well, it's not easy. The questions have a little scenario followed by a question like "were Attorney's actions proper?" And the answer choices are "Yes, because" or "No, because" or sometimes "No, unless," or "Yes, if." So believe me, it can get tricky. All in all, though, I came away from it feeling pretty good, and I will have the results in about a month.

In four hours, Nora and I are taking off for London for Spring Break. So if we come across an internet cafe, my next post will be from the UK!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home