Monday, January 31, 2005

Law Review Cite Check

On Saturday we got out cite check assignment. Normally we get about 25 footnotes for verification. This time they gave me 75. Now for each one, we get the source, photocopy the title page, the pages cited, and the pages around the cite to verify the footnote is correct. Then we highlight the particular text cited within the page. I complained that this was more work than usual but no one seemed interested in hearing me gripe. So I spent my entire Sunday, from about 10:00 am to 9:30 pm, sitting at the copier, highlighting like crazy. Some of the 75 cites were in multiple parts (as many as 25), and I ended up with well over 100 verification packets. To the left is my cite check; to the right is a sample ream of paper (500 sheets). Tell me there will be a payoff! :-P

2 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very tedious job, but somebody's gotta do it.

Nora

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The payoff comes when you interview for job at graduation. You won't get the "oh, so you weren't 'cum laude' enough to get on law review" looks. No terd, I was smart enough to know I didn't want to waste two years checking to make sure the authors weren't making stuff up!

Amy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home