Friday, February 04, 2005

Ain't no bread

There ain't no bread in the bread box
'Cause we ain't got no dough
And it's seems like we ain't got enough time
To go foolin' around no more
I've been working so hard for oh so long
What've you got to show?
- Jerry Garcia Band, Shining Star (1991)
Wednesday night I came into the law school building tired and hungry. There's a Subway sandwich shop inside the school, and around 5:30 it's normally bustling with activity. This time it looked pretty empty, and I was glad to be able to get in & out quickly without waiting in line. Not so. As soon as I was in the door, I was greeted by a large, grumpy woman with her arms crossed. "Ain't no bread," she announced. "Excuse me?" "Ain't no bread," she said again, as if she was challenging me to a fight. This is a Subway, how can you possibly not have bread? That's like McDonald's saying they don't have any fries.