Monday, February 26, 2007

Bar Exam, Day 0

I arrived in Austin about 2:30--excellent timing, since traffic is still pretty manageable. It's very hot here and it's not even March yet! The hotel is seedy, but about what you'd expect for being $50 a night downtown. You can measure the quality of a hotel by the restaurant the guests* walk to for dinner. Fine hotels, you take the elevator to the top floor restaurant. Good hotels, you take the elevator to the ground floor restaurant. Decent hotels, you go the the Shoney's or Denny's across the parking lot. Looks like I will be eating at CVS Pharmacy. There is also a Wendy's on the way back from the Convention Center, and a BBQ place I probably won't try. And there's alsways pizza delivery!

There was some drama as I was unloading the car. On one trip, I got to the door and when I tried to open it, the sliding latch somehow caught onto the door and I was locked out! So I had to go get management, and they had some kind of forked prybar thing that they used to get the door open. So now I am able to get into the room, but I don't feel so safe with the sliding latch on the door anymore!

I am eight blocks from the Austin Convention Center and I've already made a dry run, so I know where I'm going and where I'm supposed to park. They told us in an email that we would be pretty much on our own for lunch, and that there were restaurants all around the Convention Center. Not that I saw. There are a couple of fine hotels right beside the convention center; I'm sure they have restaurants inside them (where the lunch menu starts at $25, no doubt). There is one other restaurant beside the Convention Center, and I imagine it will be packed the next three days. It's a little fancier than I would want to do this week but I may not have a choice.

How am I feeling? OK. Not panicked. I have plenty of time to review the civil and criminal procedure outlines before tomorrow, and tomorrow I'll have a half-day to review for the multistate. It's enough time to go over the things I know are rough areas and do the short-term memorizing thing.

*For MBE purposes, of course, I am not a guest. I am an invitee, and the management owes me a duty to inspect and warn of any dangerous conditions... Sorry, just practicing. :-P

2 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck!! And stop studying. The chances that you learn something new that is on the test are so miniscule.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger John said...

Thanks; you can tell me that, and I'm sure it's true, but you have to know know I'll have my nose in a book for the next three days anyway!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home