Monday, August 14, 2006

Law Clerk Day 26

Today began my last week as a volunteer law clerk for The Firm. So far I've mixed opinions about the experience. I have done plenty of writing and some research, but haven't attended a lot of hearings or trials. In fact, I've attended exactly none in the past two weeks. It's not all their fault. I was supposed to go to a hearing on a motion for summary judgment (that I wrote the response for!) but didn't because that's the day I went on an interview with the county Administration Office. That interview went really well and I liked the people there, but when the judicial internship thing came up, even they told me that was far better in the long run and I should go for it, which I did, and here I am. The Firm has a trial tomorrow and I'm going to wear a suit and try to tag along.

Anyway, today I broke the news to The Firm that I took the internship. I told them that I'd probably be putting in three days a week with the judge and two days with them. And they seemed ok with that. We'll see how it works out. I'll be an hourly wage slave for the first time since I worked at Radio Shack in, what, 1992? I noticed the hourly people "punch in" by placing their finger on a scanner. Daaang. I feel ooold! Back in my day, we had... oh, nevermind.

Apparently the women in the office who wouldn't give me a stamp before have become acclimated to me. Today I even started getting the office gossip! It's the same stupid, meaningless stuff you would expect anywhere, really. But it's nice to be in the loop.

I'm at home tonight (no classes till next week!) and was going to clean the house but I've been laying around instead, Office Space style ("Yesterday I sat at home and did absolutely nothing. And it was everything I thought it would be.") Tonight I'm taking the time to cook dinner. I'm trying to make colcannon. I had it once on a Burns Night and loved it. The other day on a whim I bought the potatoes and cabbage. Now that I've looked up the recipie I found out there are about ten different ways to make it, but I probably should have bought kale instead of cabbage and I should have picked up some leeks and mace for flavoring. Oh well. I guess I'm having American colcannon! If it's good.

2 Comments:

At 12:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, how was the colcannon?

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger John said...

I don't think I had the potato to cabbage ratio quite right. Otherwise it was pretty good... next time I'll use kale and mace like the majority of the recipes say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home