Sunday, August 13, 2006

Judicial Intern 2.0

I study secured transactions.
I love my classes.
I got a crazy teacher, he wears thick glasses.
Things are going great, and they're only getting better.
I'm doing all right, getting good grades.
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!

- Timbuk 3, 1989 (with some adjustments).

Short version: I'm going to be a judicial intern for the US District Court!

Long version:

Wednesday night I arrived home and got ready to study for my Bankruptcy final. I had an email from the Law Review people announcing that one of the local federal judges was still looking for judicial interns. The judicial internship I did last year was state appellate court (where the trial had already happened) and this is federal district court (where all the action is). I considered this an excellent opportunity and spent the night working on a suitable cover letter (I figured the bankruptcy studying could wait but it never happened). I put an application package together and went to bed. The next morning I wore a suit and at lunch I hand-delivered it to the judge's office. As it happened, he stepped out into the hall just as I was coming up. So I handed my application directly to him. An hour later I had a call from his clerk of the court asking me if I could come in for an interview on Friday. I did, and they offered me the position. They ask interns to put in at least two days a week, and someone I spoke to said I should try to make it three. So that's what I'm going to do.

About a week ago the law firm I have been working for offered to keep me on and let me work part-time or full-time, whatever I wanted to do, with an hourly income. I was grateful and said sure, but we didn't iron out any details yet. I'm going to tell them Monday that I'm only going to be coming in two days a week -- we'll see if they still want to keep me around! :-P

1 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, Blogger John said...

It turns out I won't have to choose, but if I did I think I would have chosen the federal court internship since (I think) it has more snob appeal for the recruiters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home