Tuesday, May 30, 2006

English First?

I saw The da Vinci Code Sunday. It was OK. Not spectacular. There are plenty of websites devoted to the factual errors and misrepresentations in the story, so I'll leave that to others. Here's my complaint, and I haven't seen others posting on this thought: All the clues that they find, like the poem in the box and the keyword for the cryptex, whether devised by Leonardo himself or perhaps by the Frenchman who dies in the film, are IN ENGLISH. That's just stupid. Convenient, but stupid. It should have been in Latin or French.

Ah well. I rather liked the scene where they were walking to the church and talking about Newton's funeral. You could see the ghostly figures attending that funeral in period clothing. I'm not describing it well but it was a nice effect.

As a side note, I'm amazed at the slew of books and websites that exist in response to this story. I was an at the bookstore this evening and saw a tableful of them. The two that made me laugh were Freemasonry for Dummies and The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Masons. Both books' authors claim to be Masons. I looked through one of them and I have to say that the author was much more free about explaining the symbolism and beliefs of the Masons than any Mason I ever knew about! So I wonder if they're really Masons.

2 Comments:

At 2:09 AM, Blogger Christopher Hodapp said...

To answer your question, you may rest assured. I'm the author of Freemasons For Dummies, and a Freemason from Indianapolis. Brent Morris, author of the Complete Idiot's Guide to Freemasonry, is also a Mason and the editor of the Scottish Rite Journal in Washington DC.

Chris Hodapp
http://www.freemasonsfordummies.com

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger John said...

Thanks for commenting, Chris!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home