Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Update

Sorry I've let this thing lag so far behind these past few weeks. Here's an update:

At the end of my judicial internship I got a very nice letter of recommendation, and I used it in my application packet for on-campus interviews. Each fall, a number of law firms come to UH and spend one day interviewing the students they are interested in and if they like you, they invite you around to visit their offices. Then they may make you an offer for a summer internship, which could lead to a job when you graduate. In theory. Some of the firms are ridiculously picky, for example, only wanting to talk to the top 5% of students. All that based on arbitrary grades that are not a proven indicator of one's abilities in practice. Much like the SAT. Well, it's their prerogative, I guess.

So how many Houston firms bit for interviews? One. Many people have said not to worry about it, that most people don't find work through these interviews anyway. Still, I'm very annoyed.

Yesterday was my first day of class. Trial Advicacy. We are going to go through a number of scenarios and practice doing direct and cross examination of witnesses. There will be two "live" trials in courhouses with real judges. That should be fun.

Admiralty and Evidence meet tonight and tomorrow.

2 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, Blogger John said...

Trust me, I'm with you on the "It's all crap!" view. I may have to go independent. Or move (shudder). Our "career services" can't keep anybody long enough to help us out!

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger John said...

Going independent isn't something I'd feel ready to do right out of the gate. But it's looking like a possibility! A lot can happen between now and graduation, though. "You gotta look on the briiiight siiiide of life...."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home