Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Katrina

I don't read blogs much. (I know, I know!) But I'm sure everyone's posting about New Orleans and how we're watching it sink like Atlantis. (Nevermind Mississippi and Alabama; apparently they aren't newsworthy enough for the front page). I'm thinking about my house, sitting mostly empty, while parents and their children are sitting in Red Cross shelters and campgrounds, wondering what will become of them. I have an urge to go by one of the shelters and adopt a family (after a suitable health, drug, criminal, and credit background check, of course). I have a coworker married to a guy from Metairie and she said they have--what, 20 people in her house right now? And they keep coming. I read about a fire department who took in a family of 88. Eighty-eight! My family wouldn't be that big if you counted everyone going back four generations.

3 Comments:

At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tried to call you, but like you said, your phone signal doesn't pick up signal at school. Astrodome is turning away lots of people, many of them with kids who have no where else to go. Just FYI.

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was me -- nora

 
At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heard tonight of a specific lady in Bmt who has taken 30 into her home! No doubt she'll be spending a hefty sum at the grocery store. Apparently several people are taking some in, though maybe not in such big numbers.
They're letting them stay at Ford Park and heard it's full. So, I guess Beaumont is trying, too. That's good.
Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home