Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Novell

Novell recently announced (at least, I just found out about it) that they have established a Continuing Certification Requirement where we have to teach at least one Novell class in the coming year. Why? "One of the most common concerns of the CNI Community is that CNIs are not instructing." Heh. Oh yes we are--but we're not teaching Novell! It's not our fault that Novell fell asleep in the mid-90s and allowed Microsoft to take the lead in new network installations. Distracted with the WordPerfect debacle, Novell fell by the wayside and hasn't recovered. Yes, yes, we all know it's a great product and runs circles around Windows. But I don't know anyone migrating to NetWare. It's a good thing they only want one class a year--it's going to be hard enough to get that to run!

2 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Blogger CyndyMW said...

I used to sell these classes and think "Who runs this stuff?" Now that I'm in industry, I know the answer: no one.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger CyndyMW said...

One of my colleagues came by my desk to ensure I had access to a certain database and I noticed the Novell coffee cup in his hand.

"You certified?" I asked.

"CNE, but that was a long time ago."

I told him about the 'must teach one class per year' requirement to retain your CNI, and his response was "Why bother?" And seriously, what is NH's benefit, or yours for that matter, in keeping you certified? Are there not a bunch of out of work folks they could contract to in the odd event that they teach a Novell class?

On an alternative note, does it have to be networking material? Novell is all over Linux now, so maybe that's a better avenue to explore. Linux has, what, 24% market share? Just slightly more after I get it installed on my box this week. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home