Saturday, September 25, 1999

Returning Home

Time to return home. I exchanged my drachmae for dollars at an exchange rate of 306.5 to the dollar. My luggage was x-rayed TWICE on the way the plane. We boarded an MD-11 and soon we were in the air, flying over Italy, then France, then England, Ireland and Iceland. I'll be back in Houston by tonight. What did I learn from my first trip abroad?

Some people say you aren't truly educated unless you've travelled abroad. I don't know about that, but I have gained some precious experiences this week. I have walked in the footsteps of the Minoans, Hellenes, Persians, Romans, and many others. I've walked streets dating from 1700 B.C. to the first century, to the middle ages, to the nineteenth century, to he present day -- a span of more than 3,500 years of history.

I've learned the food is never as good as at home. Especially on a cruise. Our dinner options last Thursday were either Turkey Schnitzel or a GrouperBurger. Need I say more?

I know how it feel to be discriminated against when trying to get service at a restaurant.

I've learned foreign nations have a love-hate relationship with America. They emulate our style of dress, watch our movies and listen to our music, yet at the same time they spray-paint "Killers go home," or write "USA" with a swastika for the S.

I've learned if you give an old man a microphone in a bar he will sing "My Way."

1 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the last line in this post. So darn funny!!

Nora

 

Post a Comment

<< Home