Monday, December 26, 2005

Frustrated with Law Review

I sent this email to the Law Review Chief Notes & Comments Editor, and thought I'd share.

SHORT, CONCISE VERSION:

I still have no feedback on my paper and my editor is AWOL. I am stymied and very, very frustrated.

LONG, RANTING VERSION:

On November 4, I turned in a 56-page draft.

On November 6, I emailed an electronic copy to my editor, [EDITED], at her request. She said she would make comments directly on the copy and email it back to me. At the time you and Michelle both said it would be perhaps after Thanksgiving before I would get back any comments. I said fine.

Thanksgiving came and went. On December 6, she wrote, "After finals ... I truly don’t have time to look at it until after then. You are well ahead of the curve as far as your paper goes, so I think you should have plenty of time to incorporate changes etc. Are you leaving town or anything over the break?" (She's had it for a month and says she will LOOK AT IT after finals? How does she know I'm ahead of the curve if she hasn't looked at it?) Again, I said fine.

Then on the evening of December 22 she wrote, "I think it would be better for you to see the comments. Please let me know what your schedule is and we will plan to meet briefly to discuss your paper. I do not think that sending you comments by email would be adequate or helpful." (I think it would, since I've heard nothing at all for the past seven weeks!)

I wrote her back immediately and said we could meet the next day (Dec. 23rd) but as of 9:30 this morning, December 26, I still haven't heard back anything. It's been four days. I know it's Christmas. I also know people were working on projects in the office on December 23.

It's now AFTER CHRISTMAS and I still don't have any comments. The whole point to getting a draft in early was so I could get feedback early. I wanted to finish this paper before the Spring semester started. It's no secret that students use their break between semesters to get the bulk of the work done. That break is half over and I haven't been able to work on it because I have received no feedback whatsoever about my paper.

In short, I'm feeling blown off, delayed, inconvenienced, and, frankly, PISSED.

2 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's probably just returning some gifts that she didn't like, John. Give the girl a break. After all, she's the the Law Review Chief Notes & Comments Editor and will get back to you at her earliest CONVENIENCE. CONVEEEEEEEEEENIENCE.If she's a slacker and can't carry her load, that's YOUR problem! Not hers!

Sorry, John. It is always unbearably painful when you're at the mercy of incompetence. I hope she pulls her head out of. . . so you can get back to work soon.
Merry Christmas. . . he he ?
Yusuf

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger John said...

Actually this is the one week I didn't want to get back to work. I picked up Boo and today we played with her presents and watched Gremlins courtesy of Blockbuster. Now she wants a Mogwai.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home