Saturday, May 22, 2004

OK People

Despite all the history and culture I am experiencing on this trip, I see that the comments most likely to elicit response are the ones about Middle Eastern gays. There's nothing on TV like "Queer Eye for the Straight Arab," nor "Queer as Bedouins"; there is no "Walid & Ghayda" to rival "Will & Grace." I know you're all disappointed. If you want I can ask Omar to find me a Damascene gay bar so I can report on it for you. :-P (Oh, and for those of you who have stumbled across my site and don't know me, I am most definitely straight!)

Omar took me to the bazaar area and we went into some of the shops. There is a lot of the same stuff that Turkey has, like the rugs, etc., but it looks like the prices are gonna be better. I got a new black suit, tailored, with a dress shirt and tie. Total price: $119. When we went to dinner I realized I forgot to put on my belt. We walked into a clothing store and came out with a new belt. Price? $6. There are a few tourist busses, and Omar's friend Tarik says they're mostly French, German or Spanish people. Not too many Americans! The old streets around the bazaar are very narrow and have been covered by a metal roof to provide year-round shade. Unfortunately cars are alllowed to drive in the area, and the trapped, combined smells of spices and exhaust are enough to choke a dozen donkeys.

In the evening we met Noor's mother at a fancy restaurant in an exercise center (don't ask; it makes sense if you see it -- they have a nice pool area and in the evening the tables are set up outside around it--no one is in the pool then). I had a mustard chicken similar to what you might get at some Mexican restaurants. Afterwards Noor's mom invited us to visit for tea tomorrow evening.

Afterwards we met up with Omar's friend Tarik and drove to the top of a mountain on the side of the city. You could see the city sprawled out below, white and yellow lights peppered with green from the mosques. We sat in a cafe and Omar and Noor shared a nargileh.

2 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you on the clothes. Knowing your taste, perhaps you should stock up while you can! Sounds like the food is better, too. Streets that don't get wet - um, can you imagine Westheimer with a roof! Wonder how people's lungs hold out. So far it sounds quite lovely, as I've always heard it was. I'm looking forward to the sites!
Mom

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger CyndyMW said...

Thanks for the pin on the GuestMap! It looks more full now in areas other than Texas.

While you're there, can you get me a new suit as well? My measurements are... well, start with a troll doll and scale up.

Sounds like you're having fun! Take lots of pictures. You can post them on the blog with this tool: www.hello.com.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home