Saturday, April 09, 2005

Intern Quest Update

So, you ask, how’s the search for summer internship going? On the bright side, my employer says go for it – I can take the time off, just let them know. On the bad side, well, there isn’t a lot out there and when there is, everyone jumps on it. This is one area where you can’t be slow—positions appear and disappear within moments. Here’s an example: our Office of Career Development sent everyone an email about an exciting opportunity for an internship. The email was sent on FRIDAY at 3:30; they wanted resumes THAT DAY and the position starts NEXT WEEK. It’s a little like playing Whack-a-Mole: the positions pop up and disappear before you can grab them.

I had considered taking the summer mediation clinic, but somehow it filled up a week before registration even started! They told me 80 applications were received for about 16 positions. Argh! It’s a tough business.

Many have pointed out I should have been looking in October for a summer internship and this is waaay past last minute. I did the on-campus interviews back then, thank you., and because I wasn’t graduating until ’07 they blew me off. Now I could have kept looking, but honestly I was discouraged enough by the cold reception that I decided to put off interning till next year. Then in February I got a “pep talk” from Student Services and they pushed me into looking again. And I’m still looking.

Monday is registration for Summer / Fall and I still have no idea whether I will be clerking somewhere. Right now it’s not looking too good. I’ve had one interview with a personal injury firm, and I’m hoping they’ll call me next week. (I know personal injury has a bad rep, but if you were injured, who would you be calling?) Monday I’m going to send a resume to the Legal Aid group in Galveston. Not what I wanted, but any experience is better than none. Nora pointed out I could just sign up for classes and then withdraw if something comes up. That’s what I’ll have to do.

2 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there.

Nora

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't sweat it. It'll have to be later. That's all. No big deal.
Yusuf

 

Post a Comment

<< Home