Thursday, April 14, 2005

Articles Edited--Free!

I just read a news article about a deadly car crash. After reading it, I copied it into an email with interlinear notes and sent it back to the admins:

Police Say Alcohol May Be To Blame For Deadly Crash
HOUSTON -- Investigators are trying to determine if alcohol was behind a deadly head-on collision that sent six people to a hospital Wednesday night. Deadly? Six people? Who died? Police said a man driving his car the wrong way on Westheimer Parkway slammed head-on into a sport utility vehicle.... He's expected to survive. Okay, so he killed someone, right? The other five victims... were taken to nearby hospitals with non-life-threatening injuries. Wait--"non-life-threatening?" Hype! Hype!

So when I decided to blog about it, I went back to the article and found the word "deadly" had disappeared. Huh? ¿Que pasó? So I checked my email, and they had written me back!

Thank you for your e-mail, and for pointing out our error. It's being fixed immediately. We sincerely apologize for the mistake. The writer and proofreader have also been forwarded your e-mail, so they will know it happened. Again, thank you for taking the time to make sure all of our stories are free of errors.

Wait, I didn't plan to check all your stories. I showed the original to my students, and they argued "deadly" can mean something that's merely potentially deadly, but I still thought it was misleading and I'm impressed they changed it so quickly. But I'm still not going to make sure all their stories are free from errors.

3 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm somewhat surprised they wrote you back at all, but that's a good thing.

Nora

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slacker.
Yusuf

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger A Girl From Texas said...

That is hillarious!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home