Friday, October 12, 2001

Russian E-Mail Scam

I have been getting unsolicited e-mails that are supposedly from a Ukranian woman named Mariya Fedoroni. She’s been sending me love letters that I ignored at first, but they kept coming so I wrote an over-the-top response that I thought would end the letters. It didn’t; but it did draw out the scam. She asked me to wire her $950 for a plane ticket and a visa to come to America so she can be with me. Riiight. I called the FBI instead, and asked if they were interested in small-time internet scams. The guy said sure, and told me I could mail the letters to him. I suggested he give me his e-mail address and I could just forward them to him. He answered HE DIDN’T KNOW THE E-MAIL ADDRESS. What an idiot. I told him he wasn’t inspiring my “full faith and credit” in the US government. I think that pissed him off. He referred me to their web site, the same one that’s accepting info about the terrorists. I had to choose a category for the complaint. International scam? Fits. Spam / Unsolicited e-mail? Also fits. Non-delivery of purchased goods? Heh heh. Could fit! I opted for the Spam category and filed a complaint. In the meantime I wrote the minx again and suggested I mail her the plane ticket instead of the money and asked for her measurements so I could have a wedding dress tailored. I checked into wiring her 950 rubles as a joke, but that’s $30 and change so I didn’t want to do that.

3 Comments:

At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would have been funny. Thought out in true 'John-Spirit'. I was in a computer privacy breakout session at an employment law seminar with our CEO this week and they were talking about hackers and later talked about doing background checks on potential employees as an added level of security. He suggested in true 'John-Spirit' that we could be a little more in depth with our background checks on potential employees and hack into their computers. :-)
Yusuf

 
At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would have been funny. Thought out in true 'John-Spirit'. I was in a computer privacy breakout session at an employment law seminar with our CEO this week and they were talking about hackers and later talked about doing background checks on potential employees as an added level of security. Our CEO suggested to me, in true 'John-Spirit', that we could be a little more in depth with our background checks on potential employees and hack into their computers. :-)
Yusuf

 
At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry. Feel free to delete one of these. The second one is not as interesting. . .
Yusuf

 

Post a Comment

<< Home